Monday, June 3, 2013

Giving

From my last posting I talked about being complacent and the struggle I have with "living on purpose".  I love that quote.  I decided to do something about it so I signed up to volunteer. 

Yesterday I volunteered to help feed the homeless.  My task was to pour water into their glasses while they are dining.  The night before I was out with my girlfriends til wee hours of drinking and lounging.  I wasn't ready to get up but I had to fulfill my commitment.  I'm not going to lie to see a lot of men especially black men from young to old standing in line to be fed says about the economic disparity in this country.  They are the majority in this group I saw and it's hard not to hold compassion for the poor.  I can't say I walked away feeling good about helping because I felt it's not enough to make a difference.  I commend everyone who donates their time and money for the less fortunate and highly commend for those who works there on a regular basis because they enjoy what they do. 

As I'm walking around serving water I noticed others sharing meals.  Some shared because they didn't like a certain dish and was willing to give it to someone who's still hungry.  These persons could easily waste their food and not care about others.  But the little they do have they were willing to share.  I thought my contribution was a small price to give but I realized that goodness spreads weather big or small.   Little things have the greater impact and I've witnessed it that day.  Goodness spreads and it helped brought my giving into perspective that every little thing counts.  It all adds to the greater good of ourselves, humanity, and just the deed of goodness itself.


No comments:

Post a Comment